NYGeog

Geography, GIS, Geospatial, NYC, etc.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Tuesday: Things Every Geographer Should Know


Just finished the last of my home brews. Started a new batch of Irish Stout on Friday. I'll miss the Continental Dark (think Carlsberg Dark or Heineken Dark) but I'm looking forward to drinking the Stout - which was the first beer I brewed way back in 2004.

Remember all the things to learn in geography class - like how to spell Erastothenes - and whatever it was he did with those wells and shadows, what "break of bulk" means, or how to make Thiessen Polygons. Well I sure as hell don't. I was too busy downloading music illegally to remember all that stuff.

So long as I remember, every Tuesday I'd like to bring up some random geography facts. Here's something I just learned of from Scott Davis's GIS for Web Programming book: "The meter is defined as 1/10,000,000th the distance from the equator to the pole."

This has been a great read so far - rehashing on some of the basics of geography and GIS. I'm sure I won't like it so much when I'm trying to set up an Open Source Map Server.

Missed the Vampire Weekend (often compared to sounds off Graceland or to the Talking Heads) CD release party up at the Virgin Megastore last night. Too tired to go at midnight. The record comes out today and if I get a chance to buy it I'll review it. Their demo is still in heavy rotation in my Ipod and it'll include many of the songs off it.