NYGeog

Geography, GIS, Geospatial, NYC, etc.

Monday, June 9, 2008

High Earth Orbit, Google Calendar to GeoCal, Green Musicians & NY Times mag: future cities

I thought I'd highlight a great geospatial blog called High Earth Orbit. It's written by Andrew Turner who runs Mapfacture.

I've been trying to integrate a mapping component linked to my NYC free concerts calender. Through some searching I stumbled upon this blog article which then brought me to this Yahoo Pipes Geocode App. It works pretty decent, except the geocode is off since many of the concerts are at landmark places rather than standard addresses. I have the resulting map linked below - (REMOVED). Sorry about the far-out extent. By the time I fix it it'll probably be removed because I'll have tried a GeoCal solution outlined in this page.

Here's a Treehugger article on green musicians. I'd like to see their methodology b/c there are arguably greener musicians out there....Willie Nelson (his biofuel bus and his env. activism) or any acoustic street musician (uses no electricity and travels using public transit)???

Also, the Sunday NY Times Magazine had some great articles on planning future cities.