NYGeog

Geography, GIS, Geospatial, NYC, etc.

Friday, October 10, 2008

Homebrewing, Living with Solar Panels, Tour de Bronx & People Make Parks

Busy week with posts here at NYGeog. I'm posting a lot b/c there's just so much interesting stuff going on. Don't forget about the Election 2008 map and I've repointed the free concerts calendar to Brooklynvegan b/c they are just so much better at it. Definitely making moves to make it to the Gowanus Harvest Festival this weekend. Also, just about a week into my latest batch of homebrew; a True-Brew Amber. I'll probably test it out this weekend. I've had two successful brews since, but I'm still timid about over-priming like I did to my Irish Stout back in March of 2008. And if you like blogs about brewing, check out Seanywonton's Homebrew Blog (he lives in Greenpoint).
For example, this dude blogs about living with solar panels at Transition Culture.

And don't forget to sign up for the Tour de (the) Bronx on Sunday October 19, 2008. It's free and its brought to you by the good folks at Transportation Alternatives.
And don't forget this (copied from T.A.'s StreetBeat newsletter):

People Make Parks

Image courtesy Partnership for Parks.

On Saturday, October 25th, the Sara D Roosevelt Park, site of It's My Park! Day, will also host the launch of the People Make Parks Initiative.

This groundbreaking initiative, created by Hester Street Collaborative and Partnerships for Parks, is designed to expand the role of communities in park design, giving them the tools and resources they need to develop a vision for their local parks and ensure that this vision is considered as the parks are renovated and improved.

It's My Park! Day is a citywide effort to care for and celebrate New York City's parks, coordinated by Partnerships for Parks. You can find an It's My Park! Day location near you here.

Come out and learn how to get involved with your local parks.

People Make Parks Initiative Launch
Saturday, October 25th
11 am–3 pm
Rivington Street (between Chrystie and Forsyth Streets)
Manhattan