NYGeog

Geography, GIS, Geospatial, NYC, etc.

Friday, February 6, 2009

Steve Martin: Comedian and Banjo player

Steve Martin, acclaimed comedian and now highly regarded banjo player, has been getting a lot of press about his new album. NPR has done an article on him as well as the NY Times in the music section. Learn more about Martin's career here and watch this hilarious clip of Martin on the Muppets playing dueling banjo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gzTn6f5a0s.

excerpt from NPR: Over the years, Martin used his banjo in his comedy. But there is another side of him that clearly takes the music seriously.

"When I first started doing my comedy act," Martin explains, "I just desperately needed material. So I took literally everything I knew how to do on stage with me, which was juggling, magic and banjo and my little comedy routines. I always felt the audience sorta tolerated the serious musical parts while I was doing my comedy.

"I just have an affection for it offstage and the sounds it can make. It's like listening to a mystery when you hear some people play. I just say, 'I have no idea how they do that.' It's magic, and it's beautiful."