NYGeog

Geography, GIS, Geospatial, NYC, etc.

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Folk Music Dead Again, Wilco & NYC loses its jazz (festival)

After a long end of semester, I'm done with my first engineering class. Now time to focus on more important stuff; music, festivals, beer & my new community garden plot in my new neighborhood of Brooklyn Heights.
View Larger Map

Robert Loss from PopMatters contemplates the Death of the Second Folk Revival. While I don't know if I agree completely with the idea of the death of folk due to increased technology, I do find the piece to be a great read. And I find that Loss's opinion of how Bruce Springsteen's Nebraska is something Hank Williams would view as authentic disagrees greatly with Wilco's frontman Jeff Tweedy's opinion from the new Wilco DVD Ashes of American Flags on Hank Williams and his view of him as a pop star in his time. Speaking of Wilco, I'm not thrilled with the new album but will continue to listen in hopes of it growing on me. Most Wilco albums are a slow burn but Wilco (the Album) has barely captivated me at all.

Unfortunately, NYC is losing its Jazz Fest due to lack of funding related to the economy. Though, for those interested with a few days to spare can attend the Rochester Jazz Festival.