NYGeog

Geography, GIS, Geospatial, NYC, etc.

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

TA Century Bike Tour, stairCASE, and revitalizing Buffalo


On Sunday I rode the 55 mile route for Transportation Alternatives (TA) Century Bike Tour. After torrential downpours on Saturday, the weather was spectacular on Sunday.  The ride consists of riding with traffic and on some dedicated bike paths.  TA handed out some crib sheets that consisted of the turn by turn directions of the trip.  I'm going to suggest that next year they use maps! 

Treehugger posts a new design that I think is really cool: the stairCASE.  This bookshelf can utilize often wasted higher up space by incorporating stairs into the design.  

And the city of my grad school alma mater is becoming a haven of artists and creative types (and the Buffalo Bills - my second fav. team in the AFC East).  New York Magazine did a long peice on the revitalization of Buffalo based on low rents and a chance to redevelop some great architecture.